Pages

December 5, 2013

The Classic Toys Are Coming Back This Christmas Season

Christmas seems to have somehow crept up on me this year.  November was a very busy month with a wedding in my family (my beautiful daughter) and Thanksgiving.  Even though my children are grown and there are no grandchildren yet, I'm always on alert for what toys are popular this time of year.  I haven't seen any toy advertised that seems to be all the rage this year like the Tickle Me Elmo in the past.  With more and more people struggling to make ends meet this year, I've noticed a lot more advertising for the classic toys.

One of the retro toys that is gaining popularity again are the old fashioned Lego sets.  I'm talking about the beginning sets that have an assortment of blocks.  Kids (especially between 6 and 8) can really use their imaginations and build whatever they want.   My son at that age would build spaceships, castles, towers, spacemen and anything else he could think of.  Legos are great for developing fine motor skills.  There are so many more possibilities in a general set than in a specific set that builds just one object.